This salad is a staple in our house. It is fresh and filling, packed with healthy nutrients (including a great amount of protein from the quinoa and chick peas) and goes with just about everything. It has lemon, lime and a nice mix of herbs.
It's great for lunch on-the-go or as a side at dinner with some chicken or fish. Once you have the basic recipe you can add just about any veggies and herbs. I usually make it at the begining of the week and it lasts about 4-5 days. It's very hearty and will keep you full and feeling great!
- 1.5 cups quinoa cooked (I like to cook my quinoa in chicken or veggie stock to add in great flavour to the salad)
- 1 can or cooked chickpeas, well rinsed
- 3 baby cucumbers, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 rep pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3-4 leaves of kale (tear into small pieces)
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup mint, chopped into thin stripes
- 1/2 cup coriander, chopped into thin stripes
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped into thin stripes
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 lime
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
Whisk all the dressing ingredients in a bowl or mix in a small mason jar.
Mix all the veggies, herbs and chickpeas in a large bowl, add cooled cooked quinoa and mix well. Once the salad is mixed well, pour the dressing over top and mix all together.
This salad will last for 3-4 days stored well in the fridge. I like to portion out my salad in smaller mason jars or plastic containers, this keeps it fresher longer and makes for a quick grab and go lunch for the rest of the week!