Happy Monday! Hope you had a beautiful weekend and are pumped for the week ahead! I know, it’s easy to dread Mondays, and sometimes it feels like we’re already behind before the week has even begun, but what if we were able to shift our perspective even a little and could retrain our brains to look at Mondays as an opportunity to start fresh, to reinvent ourselves for the better, and to take positive action towards achieving our goals?
Here are 5 simple but super important tips you can put into practice RIGHT NOW to help make sure you hit the ground running this week.
1. Get outside - I swear it feels like 90% of my problems can be solved by getting some fresh air and sunshine. As long as the weather isn’t downright miserable where you are, take advantage of that to get outside. Getting out into nature has numerous physical and mental benefits for us, yet if we’re not careful, it’s easy to sometimes go the whole day without seeing anything green. So make a plan for how you can fit an outdoor break into your day, whether it’s a short walk on your lunch break, or unplugging from your devices in the evenings to get outside.
2. Take 3 Minutes for Gratitude - Take just three minutes at the start or the end of the day to practice gratitude. No need to overthink it, just think of 3 specific good things that happened that day. The good things could be anything - bumping into an old friend, a positive remark from someone at work, a pretty sunset. Celebrating small wins has a proven effect of powering motivation and igniting joy. As you make a practice of noting good things on a daily basis, the better you will feel. It’s also a great activity to do together with the whole family at bedtime
3. Drink More Water - We all know how important it is in get in that H2O, but sometimes it can be a real struggle to remember and drink enough water on our busy days. Make today the day where you finally start getting in that 1L. Grab your favourite bottle, fill it up, and set up a timer on your phone to remind you to take a few swigs every hour. Don’t love drinking water on it’s own? Try adding in some flavours by throwing in some mint, lemon, or berries!
4. Move - You knew this was coming, right?! Our bodies were created to MOVE! So get up and just do it. Movement can take any form you wish, from dancing with your kids, to doing squats while you’re brushing your teeth, or getting in a quick but awesome bodyweight workout. Don’t wait for the perfect time, otherwise it may never happen. Just make it a point to move more than you did last week. Get your heart rate up and those endorphins pumping and you’ll quickly find yourself in a
5. Smile - You know that old saying “Fake it till you make it”? Well even if you start your Monday off and you already feel like you’re behind, just take a deep breath, pause for a moment, and smile. The simple act of smiling can lead your body into feeling genuine happiness, joy, or amusement. Smiling on purpose changes brain chemistry and can help if you’re feeling overwhelmed. What do you have to lose?
Like I said, these are super simple things you can put into action right NOW. Remember, none of us has any control over what the day throws at us, but you DO have control over how you react to it. Follow these 5 tips to upgrade your Monday and you’ll be better equipped to take on the rest of your week!